BeliefNet has a very good comment on the subject:
“Over a hundred of these fringe protest groups coalesced, as they so often do, into a confused mêlée of conflicting special interests,” reported Yiannopoulos. “They were united, however, in the sheer nastiness with which they expressed their views. To give but one example — as pilgrims sang “Hallelujah”, “Long Live the Pope!” and Benedicto!” demonstrators responded with shrieks of “Nazis!” and “Padophiles, watch out children!”
“So much for the inclusive tolerance trumpeted by the Left,” writes Yiannopolos. ”Here in Madrid was its real face: a sneering, violent mob of self-righteous bullies who thought it appropriate to hurl abuse at children for the crime of having pride in their faith and being excited about by a visit from the Holy Father.”
Yesterday, police had to protect us from an “indignados’” mob who wanted to “beat us” just for being Catholics and the day before yesterday, pilgrims were targeted (most of them youngsters and one of them in a wheelchair) because “Catholics provoke us, they shouldn’t exist. We should burn them alive like in 1936“. Everything with this kind of “beautiful” and “elegant” images, which tried to mock Christian Catholic faith:
1936. Most of my family was murdered that same year because they were Catholic and Libertarian-Conservatives. I hope history doesn’t repeat itself.
Anyway, as Catholic Herald writes: “Madrid will never forget this scenes of devotion” and “The street party pauses for the Way of the Cross“.
More photos here.
A note: this event hasn’t cost the taxpayers a dime, because it has been paid by the pilgrims (70% of the total cost) and the sponsors (the rest 30%).
- 121 hours of ‘non-stop’ prayer during WYD (onecatholicnews.wordpress.com)
- Pope starts Spain visit with call for economic ethics – Reuters (news.google.com)
- Despite complaints on costs, WYD will boost Spain’s economy – Catholic Culture (news.google.com)
- WYD: bearing witness to the anti-Christian pogroms in Kandhamal (onecatholicnews.wordpress.com)