‘We are concerned by reports that Urunbay Usmonov, a BBC journalist based in Khujand in northern Tajikistan, was detained and maltreated by security authorities on 14 June as an alleged member of Hizb ut-Tahrir,’ the British embassy in Tajikistan said in a statement.
Faizinisso Vokhidova, Urunbay’s lawyer, told the Interfax news agency her client was likely to be charged with membership in a terrorist group, advocating inter-ethnic violence and calling for the overthrow of the Tajik government.
The government case against Urunbay was not fully clear to her, she said, because prosecutors had not given her access to evidence against him.
- BBC journalist detained in Tajikistan (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- BBC Journalist Urunboi Usmonov Detained In Tajikistan On Suspected Terrorism Connections (huffingtonpost.com)
- BBC reporter detained for membership of ‘extreme Islamic group’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- US concerned by reporter’s arrest in Tajikistan (foxnews.com)
- US concerned by reporter’s arrest in Tajikistan (seattletimes.nwsource.com)