An 8 year-old boy was hanged by militants in Afghanistan’s Helmand province after the boy’s father — a police officer in the southern city of Gereshk — refused to comply with militants’ demands to provide them with a police vehicle, officials said.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai condemned the hanging, saying “this action is not permitted in any culture or any religions,” according to a statement Sunday, which provided details of the incident.
Karzai said he has ordered local authorities to root out the militants and arrest them “as soon as possible.”
The boy was kidnapped Friday. It was unclear when he was killed.
- 8-year-old boy hanged because father wouldn’t help militants, officials say (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- Taliban Hangs 8-Year-Old Son of Afghan Policeman (foxnews.com)
- Militants hang 8-year-old boy in southern Afghanistan -CNN (edition.cnn.com)
- Militants hang boy, 8, in Afghanistan (cnn.com)
- Militants hang 8-year-old boy in southern Afghanistan – CNN International (news.google.com)
- Afghan insurgents hang boy, aged 8 (independent.co.uk)