A delegation of Libyan rebels, led by the leader of the National Transitional Council (NTC), has met with NATO and EU officials to discuss the ongoing situation in Libya.
For a long time, European governments treated the NTC with caution, as they did not know what it was or what its members wanted.
However, the NTC has now been recognized by several countries as the only legitimate representative of the Libyan people, and in recognition of this, its leader Mahmoud Jibril was received in Brussels on Wednesday.
Jibril held talks with NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen at NATO headquarters, and Rasmussen expressed the importantance of the visit.
“They [the NTC] have a great responsibility for the smooth transition to a democratic and inclusive future in Libya,” said Rasmussen.
- Libyan rebels deny talks with Gadhafi (ctv.ca)
- Tripoli to prosecute NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen for “war crimes.” “1,108 Libyans killed in NATO attacks” (xkorpion.wordpress.com)
- Three more EU nations recognise Libya rebels (expatica.com)
- Frattini: Al-Qaeda is profitting from Libyan situation (teaandpolitics.wordpress.com)
- Libya: ‘Only’ 15 Percent of Rebels Are Islamic Extremists(teaandpolitics.wordpress.com).
- Libya: Rebel Commander says AQ jihadists are helping them(teaandpolitics.wordpress.com)
- Libya: Rebels come from pro-Jihadist Areas (teaandpolitics.wordpress.com)