Norway: biography about Mohammed will no longer be published

Self-censorship happens again: PJM:

Norwegian historian Halvor Tjønn has written a biography of Muhammad the founder of Islam and Oslo publisher Kagge had agreed to publish the book and even listed it in last year’s fall catalog.

However the publisher has suddenly pulled out of the project and now refuses to give any explanations of why it will no longer publish the book.

According to the author there should be nothing in the book that would upset Muslims. There are no illustrations of Muhammad and all of the key references used in the work are from the 8th and 9th centuries.

Found here.

Italy: Two Islamic youths take communion wafer and put it in pocket

ANSA.it:

At the evening Mass yesterday in Sondrio, two young people of Islamic faith took the communion wafer and put it in his pocket. At the end of the collegiate’s church service, the main church of the city , the priest approached them to ask for explanations and condemn the outrageous act. The two  argued they were Muslim and weren’t willing to accept blame from  a clergyman: ‘Who are you to tell us what to do? You are not God ‘.

Found here.

These guys are the ones who then ask for respect from other people who do not share their faith. We can imagine what would have happened if instead two Islamic youths in a church, such an irrespectful act would have happened with two Catholic youths in a mosque. So many people would have condemned them and said they were intolerant!

Macedonia: "Wahabbism is becoming a concern but doesn’t represent a security threat"

Just give them a little time… from SETimes:

Wahhabism is becoming a concern but does not represent a security threat, Macedonian Interior Minister Gordana Jankulovska and visiting Serbian counterpart Ivica Dacic agreed during talks at the weekend.

“These groups have been followed for over a year and at the moment they do not represent a great security threat to both countries. Still, there is the danger that the region can be a base for recruitment of terrorists,” Dacic said after meeting with Jankulovska on Saturday (September 18th).

Over the past several months, groups affiliated with the conservative Wahhabi movement have taken control of five mosques, and the split among Macedonia’s Muslims appears to be deepening. The Islamic Community (IVZ) is at sharp odds with hardliners led by Ramadan Ramadani.

IVC leader Sulejman Redzepi has called on the “government, the parties of Albanians in Macedonia, foreign diplomats, especially the embassies of the US and the EU, to support the IVZ and undertake [all] measures against these radical elements”.

During Ramadan, radical Kosovo imam Sefket Krasnici preached at Skopje’s “Chair” stadium, attracting a crowd of several thousand. He shocked the country with his denunciations of Mother Teresa, a native of the Skopje area whom many consider a saint.

She belongs in the middle of Hell because she did not believe in Allah, the prophet and the Qur’an … Even if she believed in God her belief was incomplete, with deficiencies. God does not accept such worship,” Krasnici said.

Bosnia: Wahabbism spreading experts say

Guess who are responsible for this. From Asiaone.News:

According to the figures of our intelligence agency we have some 3,000 Wahhabi followers in Bosnia, but that does not mean they are all terrorists,” Bosnian Security Minister Sadik Ahmetovic said.

However we cannot exclude that there are individuals among them … who could at a certain point commit terrorist acts,” he added, insisting that Bosnia’s police have the capacity to deal with the menace.

Bosnian Muslims, some 40 percent of a population estimated at 3.8 million, are generally a moderate Sunni community.

During the bloody 1992-95 inter-ethnic war a number of foreign Islamic fighters joined forces with the Bosnian Muslim army. They introduced Wahhabism, also referred to as Salafism, to Bosnia and built a small following.

Currently there are some twenty radical Islamic groups in Bosnia, estimates Ahmet Alibasic, a professor of the faculty of Islamic sciences at the University of Sarajevo.

Seven suspected Islamic radicals were detained in February in Gornja Maoca, a remote northeastern hamlet seen as a key location for Bosnian followers of Wahhabism.

The men were accused of “endangering the territorial integrity” of Bosnia and confined to house arrest but have not been formally charged. 

Contacted through an intermediary, the leader of Gornja Maoca’s Salafist community refused to talk to AFP. The imam who reads the important Friday prayers at Sarajevo’s Saudi-funded King Fahd Mosque, known to attract Salafists, also refused to comment for this article.

In front of the mosque heavily bearded men in traditional Islamic calf length trousers and long shirts, a style not worn in Bosnia before the advent of radical Islam in the 1990s, sell shawls, books on Islam and DVDs with sermons or glorifying the mujahedin, or Islamic fighters.

We are not Wahhabites or Salafists. We are Muslims, that’s all. Here (in Bosnia) people invent a lot of things,” a young vendor who refused to give his name told AFP.

In the neighbourhood around the mosque several women can been seen wearing the niqab, a face-covering veil, a rare sight in Bosnia.

Vlado Azinovic, a professor of international terrorism at the University of Sarajevo, told AFP that the Bosnian Salafist movement is not homogeneous. “I don’t think there is a Bosnian coordination centre” for local movements which are “divided“, he said.

He warned that the late June attack on a police station in the central city of Bugojno, in which an officer was killed, should be a “wake-up call” to the Bosnian Islamic Community, the official organisation that oversees Muslim religious life in the country.

He urged the body to take “a firm stance”.

The attack happened last June. The article was published on Sept., 28th but the Bosnian Islamic Community has not taken yet a “firm stance”. So, what are they waiting for?

Related: Divided Bosnians go to the polls.

Italy: Police arrests French national on terorrism charges – US issues travel warning

According to Yahoo.fr, the man is accused of belonging to Al-Qaeda and was arrested in Naples. Sources of the investigation have said he is of North African origins, knows how to build bombs and is 24-year-old. France has asked for his extradition because he is accused of “subversive activities” in the country.
Italian police has not released much more information about his arrest, except that his initials are R.H. and that he was in possession of “equipment which could serve to measure the components to make an explosive similar to the one which went off in Santa Barbara in Milan“. Back in 2005, a Libyan national throw an home-made explosive device against that building, hurting a soldier.
Intelligence have shown that Muslim activists linked to Al-Qaeda, particularly to its groups in North Africa, are active in Italy, where they are recruiting and funding attacks against Europe.

Meanwhile, US has issued a travel warning to all US nationals travelling to Europe regarding the credible but inspecific threat. There is no country specially singled out, but rather the warning is for the whole of Europe. It is mainly to advise US nationals to take care while in tourist areas.

Background:
US: Europe can be attacked Mumbai style.
Credible threat to Europe.
Sweden raises terrorism threat level.
Concern about terror cells’ being ready to strike in Europe.

Libya: Two South Koreans, accused of Christian proselitism, released

Religión en Libertad (Translation T&P):

Libya released on Saturday two South Koreans who were arrested this summer for violating the religious law of the African country, South Korean FM said today.

The release comes two days after Lee Sang Deuk, Grand National Party MP and brother of South Korean President Lee Myung Bak, met with the head of state of Libya, Muammar Al Gaddafi.

The prisoners were handed over to their families in the presence of South Korean ambassador in Libya, explained the minister, as recorded by The Korean Times newspaper.

Koo and Jeon, as identified by their relatives, were arrested in June and July, respectively, accused of having carried out religious activities in the country. In August, both were taken to prison after being interrogated by the authorities.

Egypt: Al-Azhar’s "Statement to the Nation" reduces Copts to Dhimmi status

Bishop Bishoy asked if some verses of the Qu’ran were introduced after Mohammed’s death. Apart from the normal demonstrations held against Copts by Islamists, there has been another much important consequence. Al-Azhar’s Islamic Research Council has released an “Statement to the Nation” that openly considers Coptic Christians as Dhimmies who ought to respect Sharia Law to be considered Egyptian citizens:

On Friday, September 24, thousands of Islamists demonstrated in front of Ibrahim Mosque in Alexandria demanding the detainment of Bishop Bishoy and insulting Pope Shenouda and throwing shoes at his photos.

Members of al-Azhar’s Islamic Research Council held an emergency meeting led by the institution’s head, Grand Imam Sheikh Ahmed al-Tayeb (right), repudiating Bishop Bishoy’s comments and accusing him of provoking sectarian tension.

A “Statement to the Nation” was released by the Council on Saturday, September 25 in which al-Tayeb said “This kind of behavior is irresponsible and threatens national unity at a time when it is vital to protect it.” He also warned against repercussions these sorts of statements can have among Muslims in Egypt and abroad.

The Statement went on to say the Council stresses the fact that Egypt is an “Islamic State” according to the text of its Constitution, which represents the social contract between its people. “From this stems the rights of citizenship, as taught to us by the Messenger of Allah in his pact with the Christians of Najran, in which he decided that they were to enjoy rights and duties as the Muslims. However, these rights are conditional to respect for the Islamic Identity and the citizenship rights as set by the Constitution.”

There are several comments from Coptic institutions about this statement. You can read them on the link above. I’m just going to copy one of them:

Magdy Khalil, head of the Middle East Freedom Forum, issued a press release on September 27, saying the Al-Azhar’s “Statement to the Nation” brings us back to the era of Dhimmitude. He thinks this statement, which is addressed to the Islamic nation and Muslims in Egypt and abroad, undermines completely the concept of modern citizenship, replacing it with their perception of an alternative Islamic citizenship, which corresponds to that promoted by various groups of political Islam. “citizenship in the traditions of the Islamic Research Council is conditional to non-Muslims in the Egyptian State by their acceptance of the Islamic State, respecting the Islamic identity and accepting the rule of Sharia,” said Khalil, “meaning that the Council has reproduced the unfortunate Dhimmi status as a condition for the Copt to being a citizens in his own country.”

He believes the “Statement to the Nation” does not strengthens national unity in Egypt but rather contributes to the increased agitation of the Islamized people, increases the feeling of religious superiority towards the Coptic minority and contributes to the destruction of what remains of the pillars of the civil state.

Terrorism: Concern about terror cells’ being ready to strike in Europe

The Blotter:

Intelligence and law enforcement officials have information that the teams could at any time launch a “Mumbai style” terror attack that targets civilians for death or hostage taking. The 2008 Mumbai attack used small arms and explosives to kill 175 people and paralyze the Indian city for days.

The current concerns are for scenarios that include opening fire at airports in Europe as well as executing similar attacks at “soft” targets like tourist attractions or hotels.

According to ABC News sources, the terror plotters have moved through the surveillance stage, checked back in with al Qaeda in Pakistan, and have received the go-ahead to strike.

Background:
US: Europe can be attacked Mumbai style.
Credible threat to Europe.
Sweden  raises terrorism threat level.

UK: Schools enforcing the full veil on pupils

Telegraph:

The Sunday Telegraph has established that three UK institutions have introduced a compulsory veil policy when girls are walking to or from school. They are:

  • Madani Girls’ School in east London;
  • Jamea Al Kauthar in Lancaster;
  • Jameah Girls’ Academy in Leicester.

All three are independent, fee-paying, single-sex schools for girls aged 11 to 18. Critics warned that the spectacle of burka-clad pupils entering and leaving the schools at the start and end of the day could damage relations between Muslim and non-Muslim communities.

Found here.